If you’re suffering from jock itch, no doubt you’re interested in jock itch cures. As the name suggests, jock itch is a very itchy, uncomfortable condition. Untreated, the condition usually just gets worse and may even spread to other areas of the body. Jock itch is contagious, so it’s also important to get treatment so you don’t inadvertently end up spreading the condition to other people.
We’ll tell you about your options for the treatment of jock itch, how to relieve the itching and discomfort of the condition, and how to keep it from spreading.
Jock Itch Cures
Treatments for jock itch are available both over the counter and by prescription. Jock itch is a fungal infection, so treatment typically involves some sort of antifungal medication, either applied topically to the affected area or taken orally (usually reserved only for severe cases).
Over-the-counter treatments are available at any drugstore or pharmacy and include antifungal powders, lotions, ointments, and sprays. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about the best treatment for your condition. The Mayo Clinic recommends using over-the-counter jock itch cures twice a day for at least 10 days, even if your symptoms seem to clear up sooner than that. Make sure you read and follow all the directions on the package, as well. Ask your pharmacist if you have any questions.
Over-the-counter jock itch treatments are usually sufficient but if your fungal infection doesn’t clear up after a few weeks of treatment or if you are experiencing significant discomfort, we recommend seeing your doctor. Your doctor can prescribe a stronger antifungal ointment or antifungal pills, if necessary.
If you have chronic jock itch, you should see your doctor to discuss treatment options as well as to help you figure out why you keep getting the condition. You can read more about chronic jock itch.
While Treating Yourself for Jock Itch
There are things you can do to help jock itch cures work as quickly as possible. These things will also help keep you as comfortable as possible while waiting for your jock itch to clear up. See your doctor for more advice if you are experiencing severe itching or discomfort.
- Keep the affected area clean and dry. Pat yourself dry with a clean towel after exercising or if you get sweaty.
- Use a clean towel daily and don’t share towels with other people.
- Change your underwear daily or more often if it gets damp or sweaty.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing if you can to help reduce sweating and prevent chafing. Not only will this help your fungal infection clear up quickly, but it will also reduce itching and discomfort in the meantime.
- If your groin area tends to sweat a lot, use an antifungal powder daily to help keep things dry and to fight jock itch.
- If you have a fungal infection elsewhere, such as athlete’s foot or ringworm of the scalp, get treatment for that at the same time you are treating your jock itch. You can read about athlete’s foot cures by following the link. Athlete’s foot and ringworm often occur at the same time because they are caused by the same fungus and both commonly occur in athletes, because they sweat regularly and spend time in locker rooms, a place where the fungus flourishes. Of course, you don’t have to be an athlete to get jock itch or athlete’s foot, however.
- If you do have athlete’s foot as well as jock itch, WebMD recommends putting on your socks before you put on your underwear. That helps to prevent transferring the fungus from your feet to your groin.
Keep Your Jock Itch to Yourself
To prevent the transmission of jock itch to other people, get treatment for your condition as soon as possible. In addition, don’t share personal items like towels, bed linens, or clothing with others.
Our Top Recommend Treatment of Jock Itch
Our top recommended treatment for jock itch is an all-natural formula called H-Jock Itch Formula. It contains homeopathic ingredients as well as essential oils that work together to kill the fungus that causes jock itch while relieving the itching and discomfort of the condition. H-Jock Itch Formula is manufactured in the USA and all of the homeopathic ingredients are manufactured in accordance with the strict specifications of the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States (HPUS). That, plus the fact that people who’ve used it rate it so highly, is why it’s our top recommended cure for jock itch. To learn more, just follow the link.